Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas came and went

I think most of you have seen the first Home Alone-- the scene at the beginning when everyone in the house is running around getting ready for their trip-- that is what my day has been like today. Ahhhhh our whole team leaves tomorrow for a 3 week trip and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the details that need done before we leave.

Justin and I will be spending the first 2 weeks in Nelson (a sunny city on the South Island) helping lead a beach project of 40 other staff and students. And after project, our team is going to join up and drive around the South Island for 6 days. I'm really excited about both parts of the trip-- but I can't help but feel like my life has suddenly torpedoed into a whole new speed. And I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

Life seems to feel rushed all too often. My solution is to make a to-do list-- I write down every possible thing I need to do and I keep track as I go. I've got one sitting next to me right now (yes blogging is on the list). It is a very efficient way to get things done and not forget what comes next. Crossing off things gives you a great sense of accomplishment, too. I live by to-do lists.

Only problem is, is that I don't know how to escape to-do list mode. I treat every part of my life this way it seems-- my morning routine is a mental check list, steps in life feel like a check in the box, my friendships can feel more like to-do's, and so often... I try to figure out how to put my relationship with God down on a to-do list as well.

1. read my Bible
2. go to church
3. tell other people about Jesus.
4.
5.
6.

I'm pretty good about filling in the numbers... I'm just not sure where they get me. I really started to think about this when I was planning our South Island trip. Every person I've ever talked to who is acquainted with New Zealand raves about the beauty and wonderfulness of that part of the world. They call it the 8th world wonder, the Lord of the Rings haven, the best part of this country. So of course we had to put a South Island trip on our to-do list. Where did I go from there-- I talked to as many people as I could about what we needed to do when we're there. I made a list of the things I wanted to see. I found a driving route. And now we are going to systematically drive for 6 days to see and do everything on the list.

But why? If I go to each of these places and complete the list- then what happens?

I'm not so sure. And I'm afraid I don't know how to treat the trip not like a to-do list. And I'm afraid that if I treat it like a list, I'll miss so much, I'll turn it into something that it's not. What does life look like without the list? If my relationship with God is not a to-do list, then what the heck is it? I think this is why I have trouble understanding or enjoying some games, ideas, and experiences. They don't follow a pattern, a list, or an equation. I try to make them.... but this makes it worse.

I think I even make Christmas out to be a list.

Oh Merry Christmas by the way:) I hope it was merry and bright!

But yes... Christmas on a to-do list... buy some presents, make some food, think about the manger story, spend time with family (or call them on the phone), and wha-la...you have Christmas. Except it doesn't feel like it. Oh I must have forgot the snow. Nope still doesn't exactly feel like Christmas. Oh I must have forgot the carols, or the candy canes, or .... It doesn't matter, Christmas won't be put on a list. I try to do it every year. And trying to make it into a list, makes it worse. Makes it feel less like Christmas.

God didn't start with a list. Jesus wasn't on most people's list. Nothing is on God's list, but nothing is off of His list either. He's way outside of such a list... and I want to try and be there, too.

Well, that's where I'm at right now, and those are my Christmas thoughts. I'm feeling a bit tired, a bit excited, and a bit unsure.

It wasn't too bad spending Christmas away, but I wish my family could have been here with me. Our team exchanged gifts, made a delicious meal, saw lights, went to church, and thought about our Savior coming as a baby. It was a full day.

The last week or so has been BUSY. Justin and I have spent lots of time preparing for project, my flatmates and I have caught 4 mice inside our flat, our team had a lot of Chritmas-y things to do, and I've spent some of my favorite times with a student named Johnnie:) I can't thank any of you enough for your Christmas wishes, cards, and packages-- they were the highlight of many days. And yes we did feel the earthquake that happened a few days before Christmas.

If you don't hear a ton from me for the next 3 weeks it's because I'm in the middle of the wild, trying to take in what's around me, but not living off of a to-do list. I'm hoping to not chicken out of sky-diving in Queenstown- the adventure capital of the world. I can't wait to share some of our adventures with you:)

Please pray that I can experience the joy of summer project amidst the busyness, and I'll pray that you can slow down and see all the joy around you. New Zealand is beautiful... but not as beautiful as hearing from all of you. All my love.... Lacey

No comments: