Saturday, December 1, 2007

slow sundays

Oh how I needed this morning. It's Sunday the 2nd of December-- but not the December you are thinking of. It's about 65 degrees outside, the trees are in bloom, and yesterday we went to the beach. What a great day of adventure yesterday-- we drove along the Wellington coastline collecting shells and taking in the sights. Somehow we didn't get lost, but made it home in our new vehicle which we've affectionaly named Pat. I'll have to attach a picture of her/ him rather than explain. No worries-- I didn't even put myself on the insurance realizing that I do not concentrate enough when driving to handle the other side of the road.

But today is Sunday... it's just past noon... and Justin and I are taking this time to blog and write our monthly update letters. We decided not to go to church this morning-- but before you think we're sinners-- let me tell you a bit about our day.

I woke up this morning around 8am not feeling all that well. I think my body is still mad at me for the tiring week in Auckland. But I managed the walk to the Farmer's Market downtown to get all our fruits and veggies for the week. I love the market. It is about a 5 minute walk from our place. It's really cheap. It's really colorful. And it's helpful for the famers who don't have to sell their products to the store. This week I bought apples, banannas, kiwis, grapes, tomatoes, lettuce, and a pepper. Plus I love being outside in the city on a Sunday morning. Don't know why-- it's just fun for me.

I came back to our little cotttage-looking flat to make some green tea (Justin says it makes your body feel better) and now I have been reading for awhile. I'm working on a book called "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn-- good read and I'm learning a lot. Today's chapter hit me just when needed. In it he quotes theologian Sam Storms saying, "We will constantly be more amazed with God, more in love with God, and thus ever more relishing his presence and our relationship with him. Our experience of God will never reach its consummation. We will never finally arrive, as if upon reaching a peak we discover there is nothing beyod. Our experience of God will never become stale. It will deepen and develop, intensify and amplify, unfold and increase, broaden and balloon." Man I needed to hear that and how good it is to my ears and soul.

I want a relationship with God like that-- one that deepens, develops, intensifies, and amplifies everyday. Not just on Sunday's. Not just when I'm sitting in church-- but when I'm shopping at the market. And when I'm reading a good book. And when I'm communicating to all of my friends and family at home. Since we've been here, we've been going to 2 church services each Sunday. It has been helpful so we can meet lots of people and discover lots of new churches. I've really enjoyed it. But I also do not want to become a person who thinks I have to go to church 2x's a day to be doing my job. It can be really conflicting to have a job doing ministry. I don't want my team to think I'm a church skipper. I don't want to pull away from the church community. But more than any of that-- I want to connect with God.

So for me.... spending Sunday morning just like this has been wonderful. Maybe I'll go to the little bakery down the street for lunch, go for a jog, and tonight... maybe Justin and I will go to church. That sounds wonderful, too.

Hope you all have a marvelous Sunday- even though it's still only Saturday night at home. Much love--Lacey

1 comment:

~*Min*~ said...

Hey Lacers! I love reading your blogs! (I love reading your emails and talking to you on the phone too)Your stories are so great! I love the car/van, and the picture of you and Justin is adorable! Im also glad to hear about the church search. (i just read the other blog today too) That is so exciting about you getting to meet Philip! That whole experience would be so neat! Anyways, Im praying for you, loving you, and missing you all the time!! Talk to you soon!